Poppy Seed Lemon Biscotti
This is a unique recipe for biscotti
using olive oil. The variety of olive oil recommended is a somewhat fruity, but
Makes about 50 - 60
2-3/4 cup flour
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 - 3 TBS poppy seeds
5 TBS Sciabica's Marsala Olive Fruit
3 eggs (or 1 egg + 4 egg whites)
2 - 4 TBS lemon juice
1 TBS lemon liqueur
Grated peel of 2 lemons
- Preheat oven to 350° F. In a mixing bowl, combine
the dry ingredients. Stir. Make a well in the center and add eggs, juice, lemon liqueur
and olive oil. Stir until the dough holds together.
- Place dough on a lightly floured board. Cut into 4 -
6 pieces. Roll each piece to a 2" x 10-12" long piece.
- Place the rolled pieces on a lightly greased
foil-lined baking sheet (2-3 rolls per sheet), 4" apart.
- Baked for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- With a serrated knife, cut each roll diagonally into
about 1/2" thick slices. Place the cookies back on the baking sheet, cut side down.
- Bake for another 8 - 10 minutes to toast.
- Remove from oven and cool a wire rack.
- Frost with Lemon Icing if desired.
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 TBS lemon juice or lemon liqueur
1 tsp Marsala Olive Fruit Oil
1 drop yellow food coloring
In a small bowl blend all ingredients until smooth.
Drizzle icing on one cut side of the cookie. (For thinner icing, add 1 TBS milk.)